Saturday, December 16, 2017

Review by michellet3143 -- The Nobel Prize

Review by michellet3143 -- The Nobel Prize

Post Number:#1 by michellet3143 » 20 Jan 2017, 22:29
[Following is a volunteer review of "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch.]

Book Cover






The Nobel Prize, by Mois Benarroch, is a fascinating story taking the reader on a psychological joy ride with many twists in a relatable way. As a work of science fiction, Benarroch does not overdo the science fiction throughout the whole book, but sprinkles it in here and there. The overall story of this novel is about a writer who is in a mental hospital and thinks he is one of his many characters he has included in his novels, everyday.

The novel is written as the writer (the main character) is speaking to his audience. He shares his difficulties with publishing novels and how that is placing many hardships on his life. For instance, he shares his struggle with his wife as a result of his low income, due to not publishing any novels. He then goes on to share with us how he is meeting an old friend who is also a writer at a mental hospital who takes on the persona of a different character he has written about every day. On top of that, he jots in a few other small story lines is this novel to keep things refreshing.

In the beginning of the novel, I was confused as to the main point of this story and I thought I might get disinterested as the story went along. Well, I was wrong... About a quarter into the book I realized that I was extremely invested and on the edge of my seat to see what creative twist Benarroch would take next. At one point, he even throws an alien into the mix, which just shocked me, but in such good way. Diving further into this book I started to see myself in the main character. He shared how his troubles were affecting his life, and he shared his worries about his own concern for his sanity. This openness with the audience truly involves our emotions and makes us question our own sanity, as we are involved in this story.

I really enjoyed the connection I was able to make in this book. However, I must say, the connection I made with this book is unlike any other connection I have ever made. I felt like my brain was spinning and I was reading chapters that were taking me into a different world. I did not feel like I was sitting on my couch in my house while reading this book, I felt more like I was on some strange ride at Disney World, almost like a more relaxed Space Mountain.

My complaints about this book would be that some of the transitions caught me off guard. For one moment, I was reading one scene, and then in another moment I would realize I was halfway through a scene and had not understood the whole first half. This was always overcome as I would read on, but the drawbacks were frustrating at times. Another large problem with this book was the professional tone. This book seems as it has not been proofread by a Native English speaker and that does distract from the story at times.

Overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I choose this rating because this book accomplished the feat of drawing me into this book, but at the same time had an unprofessional manner to it because of many grammar mistakes. However, at the end of the book I was able to take that five-minute stare into nothingness just thinking of all the feelings and thoughts this book brought out in me.

******
The Nobel Prize 
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes


No comments:

Post a Comment