Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Review of -- "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Review by Kate H -- The Immigrant's Lament



Book Cover



Share This Review

With marriage, children, and questions of religion and divorce, The Immigrants Lament is about a man – who in turn has questioned and struggled with many topics throughout life. Is his poetry good, is it bad? These are the question's he has found himself asking while introducing raw emotion into each passage. 

While reading The Immigrants Lament, has it allowed me to question much in my life. It is a good book, written by Mois Benarroch, with ebb and flow of downright feeling as to what it is an immigrant does feel – when journeying to a foreign land. What I enjoyed most about this piece of poetry is the way it is told, how the author, Mois allowed such feelings of confusion, self-doubt, and love to jump off the pages and intervene into one's mind. How he put into words that he doubted his work, how he thought that by the time he should be buried – would he find fame as a published anything. With such emotion and attention, did it have me wanting to go back for more. 

Of course, as there are likes, there are dislikes. Moreover, what I found myself disliking were the sporadic ways, Mois led off into another piece of poetry rather than continuing to tell the Immigrants story until another passage later. It gave off a feeling of confusion, leaving me to wonder, did the piece about war – have anything to do with the way he loved his wife? Or did he simply want to add that passage on war before continuing with the rest of his poems on the immigrant? 

In the enjoyment of Mois Benarroch's poems, I gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The intimate details on family, and marriage, as well as what the immigrant thought, did make me love the story, yes. As to why it is not a complete 4 out of 4 stars, are the moments of confusion, the moments that cause me to scratch my head and ask, what did he mean? Those that are avid poetry readers will find these short and long poems entertaining and enriching. Such as those who read, Jose Marti, Edgar Allen Poe or Maya Angelou will enjoy Mois Benarroch's poems and the honest way he writes of life. 

Mois Benarroch while he questioned whether he wanted to continue writing or give up, or if he should leave his wife, has he left me in want to discover what more he has written. He has also caused me to question much about my life that I did not question before – which is both a good and bad thing. I am hoping to discover more about this man and his thoughts on life.

******
The Immigrant's Lament 


Read  The immigrant's Lament in
English https://www.amazon.com/dp/1519012616




View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment