Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Review of Raquel Says Something Entirely Unexpected by Mois Benarroch

Review by Lynn  -- Review of Raquel Says Something Entirely Unexpected by Mois Benarroch

Book Cover

3 out of 4 stars

Review by Lynn_

Share This Review


I have always thought that I could tell how a book was going to end. In fact, I have always believed this till I read ‘Raquel Says Something Entirely Unexpected.’ As soon as I turned the first page, I was sure that I was in for a surprise. I was immediately thrown into a world of fiction, a world that defies all logic. In this world, the impossible becomes possible, two separate worlds collide. Even after reading the book twice, I am still yet to come to terms with its thought-evoking contents.

In this book, the author tells a story of his encounters with Raquel, his soul mate. At first, the two are leading different lives. However, when they are forty, they meet and they realize that they have so much in common. They are both married to individuals that possess similar qualities. They also have children with similar names. Furthermore, they both have published books that bear significant similarity to each other. This romance fills the better part of the book, coupled with the author’s own personal struggles and philosophical reflections. In this manner, the author manages to keep the reader hooked on long enough to read the book in its entirety. Without the romance, the author’s struggle with his personal ghosts and other musings are nothing to write home about.

Right from the beginning, it is clear that the book is not for the ‘faint-hearted.’ The author does very little to appeal to individuals who are not adept with his style of writing. The various components of the story appear haphazardly, and with no connection to each other. In fact, it took me a second read to develop a more comprehensive understanding of the plot. It appears as though the author deliberately made it appear that he lacked orderliness and that his ideas were not well-put together.

This is by far the most challenging and mentally compelling book I have read so far. I was impressed by the originality in idea and style. While many might dismiss it for its lack of connectivity, the author knew what he wanted to convey and he did a great job in delivering this message to his readers. As a result, I rate this book a 3 out of 4. A lot more clarity and the author would have gotten a perfect 4. 
Before dismissing this book outright, I would suggests that readers give it another read if they want to have their minds ‘blown.’

******
Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) 



Read Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) in




View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon/   nook/   apple/   kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment